Debt Defense Expert in Ogden, Utah
Godfrey Law can help you get a fresh start
Getting sued by a debt collector can be a nightmare. Godfrey Law is here to help with a free evaluation and consultation.
It’s time for you to stop creditors from obtaining a default judgement against you. In majority of the cases, these unscrupulous collectors have added interest, fees and penalties that you may not actually owe.
If you don’t know your rights and legal options, you won’t be able to defend yourself against the questionable acts of some creditors.
If a creditor is proven to have wrongfully sued you with incorrect balances, you may be entitled to damages, and even recover your attorney’s fees.
Our team of expert debt defense attorneys can help discuss your case right away and craft a plan of action.
Things That a Debt Collector Can’t Do
Based on the Fair Debt and Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), debt collectors are bound by limitations on how they can collect debts legally.
Here are things that debt collectors can’t do:
- They can’t call you at the office more than once.
- They can’t call you before 8 am or after 9 pm.
- They can’t call third parties on many occasions to try to locate you.
- They can’t tell anyone else, except your spouse, that they are trying to collect a debt from you.
- They can’t contact you after you have written them asking not to contact you.
- They can’t collect on a debt that is not valid.
- They can’t lie or use deceptive tactics in collecting debt.
- They can’t leave a message on a machine without their name, company and purpose.
- They can’t say or imply anything about jail or arrest.
- They can’t sue or threaten to sue on a debt that you have not paid for more than 4 to 6 years.
- They can’t say anything about taking cars or any other property, or putting liens against your property.
- They can’t threaten to garnish wages without explaining that they must file a suit first and get a judgement.
What You Gain if Your Creditor Violates the FDCPA
If your creditor is proven to have violated the FDCPA regulations, the judge can require them to pay you for damages that you suffered due to their illegal collection tactics, like lost wages and medical bills.
You can get up to $1,000 worth for damages. You can also get reimbursements for attorney fees and court costs.
You can also take part in filing a class-action lawsuit against your creditor, and recover up to $500,000 in damages or 1% of the collector’s net worth, whichever amount is lower.
Experience with Debt Defense
There are hundreds of people getting sued for debts in Utah, and many don’t know how to fight back or have any idea on what to do.
We have been handling Debt Defense cases for Utah residents since 1984. That’s a ton of experience in helping families get through every scenario you can think of.
We would love to share information on the process that may help you make major decisions.
The legal paperwork and stress can be daunting when undergoing debt defense proceedings.
Why not leave all the legwork to us?
Godfrey Law Advantage
- Free consultation
- Best rates in Utah
- Accurate advice
- Full assistance
- Free evaluation
- Over 3 decades of experience
- Strict with confidentiality
We have an advanced technology-driven process management system in place that leads to the best results at lower costs.
Don’t let debt issues control your life. File a bankruptcy today.
Let’s talk! Allow us to help you get a fresh start!
Give us a call, or send us a message on our website.